Tuesday, December 15, 2015

It's Like Eighth Grade All Over Again


I have tried sewing again, after a 40 year hiatus.  The last thing I actually made by sewing was a pair of hideous overalls.  All I remember is the teacher yelling at me quite frequently.  Although, to be fair, I think I was what is now called, a "challenging" student.  I got a sewing machine from Santa three years ago, and have barely touched it since then.  I found a "simple sewing project" on Pinterest, and decided to give it a go.  I was almost immediately thwarted by my apparent inability to refill a bobbin, but in the end I won! I cannot sew a straight line, my seams look like the seamstress was perhaps drunk, and I couldn't control my speed.  I was either sewing so fast that I couldn't pull the pins, or so slow that I thought it would never end.  But I actually finished these cute dish towels, they are supposed to have a cute little tabby on the back so that you could hang them on a hook, but I managed to sew the tabby thing INSIDE the towel, between the two layers.  So no hanging these towels up I guess.  I was surprised at how much cursing is involved in sewing, I don't remember that part.  I am kind of proud of them and I want to make some more, I am going to try to put the tab on the outside, for a change.

1 comment:

  1. I have found that quite a bit of cursing is usually involved, but once I can force myself to get going, I usually enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete